Tuesday 1 March 2011

Chemotherapy round 8: We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I had round eight of my chemotherapy today and everything was okay. No weird reactions. No overnight hospital stay. The french onion soup they gave me was terrible, but I can live with that. 

Anyways, I've been doing lots of research into radiation versus no radiation for early stage Hodgkin's. I have to give Dr. Follows the decision about my treatment by next week. It's a tough one. I haven't made up my mind yet but I did stumble across this amazing story about a Russian physicist who stuck his head in particle accelerator. I've always wanted to know what this does to you, and I salute you my Russian colleague. Apparently his brain was exposed to about 200,000 rads - you can see where the beam entered near his nose and exited out the back of his head in the picture. As a comparison, a chest x-ray gives you about 0.001 rad, and usually 500-600 rad is considered fatal. Although some of his skin fell off, and he suffers seizures, he managed to make a full recovery and is still alive 25 years later! The interesting thing is that the side of his face where the radiation beam travelled through hasn't aged! How cool is that? New fad celebrity facial treatment?


2 comments:

  1. I was skeptical at first, but it does appear to be true. However:

    http://www.tpp89.ru/metropol/Personalnyi_cernobyl_anatoliy_bugorskogo. html

    is a link to the Russian version of the story where some facts are provided (although some inconsistencies exist there as well)

    In this case, the beam was deflected into a small branch for experiments in air (not in vacuum). The previous experiment was not at a high dose, therefore, according to the article, the door interlocks were turned off. (NOTE: door interlocks - are mechanisms that detected when the door is opened and shut off all system that are needed to systain beam in that branch). The warning lights were not flashing because a light bulb burned out. Anatoli called accelerator control to disable beam on that beamline in 5 minutes, but arrived a bit early. Lights were not flashing indicating the beam has been shutoff. Door interlocks were bypassed, so he entered the room. and bend down to check his equipment?

    ReplyDelete