Friday 25 February 2011

Chemotherapy Round 7: WTF?

So last week I went in for round 7 of chemo. I figure I'm a pro at this by now. I say "hi" to the nurses, help myself to the complimentary tea and biscuits, and take my favorite chemo recliner by the window. "Bring on the poison sacs" I say, "I've got a 3:00 meeting that I need to make and time, she is a wastin'." Friends, let me tell you, that kind of attitude earns you a fistful of comeuppance in cancer land.

About 30 seconds after leaving the ward I started shivering like an epileptic at a Baptist sermon. I figure this means I probably just need more tea, but I can't hold the cup and saucer still and soon caffeinated beverage is flying everywhere. The nurses make me lie down and within 20 minutes my temperature shoots up to 41 C and my heart rate to 120 bpm. At this point I realize that I'm not feeling so good. The doctors come in, have a look and then have a hushed conversation in the hallway. I don't like it when they talk about me behind my back like this as it hurts my feelings. The decision is made to hospitalize me and inject me with everything they have. I think they they just ransacked the medicine storeroom and took one of whatever was there. I had steroids, antibiotics, antihistamines and then more antibiotics. They kept waking me up every two hours to take my temperature, blood pressure and stick things in me. After a pretty miserable night the doctor comes in and tells me they don't really know what happened, but I seem alright now so I can go home.

I've learned two things from this. First, chemo should not be underestimated or it will get angry. Second, once you get Night Fever by the Bee Gees into your head it will take you FOREVER to get it out.

1 comment:

  1. oh my! i hope you are feeling alot better after that episode! i wonder what caused that???

    so after reading your research on rads, what's the decision?? i was expecting that you were going to post that you were going to do it after what you found out. very interesting!! although i support you 100% if you choose not to do it too!

    ReplyDelete