Wednesday 30 March 2011

Ain't no mountain high enough


In an ill-conceived burst of energy I hiked up a mountain in Wales on the weekend. The big sort where you need to use your hands to pull yourself to the peak, all the while contemplating how fractured your spine would be if you fell. There is nothing like risking life and limb to make you appreciate how grateful you are for not dying from cancer. I know that logic sounds twisted but it works in my head. It was great to do something strenuous and physical, and I was surprised how my strength is slowly returning. It would have been impossible to do that sort of thing a few treatments in, so I guess my body is getting to used to the chemo. In a strange coincidence it turns out my oncologist has booked a trip to hike exactly the same mountain with his tennis buddies. He says he'll use my example to motivate/tease any of his friends who are lagging behind on the climb. 

I had chemo number 10 yesterday, and it went pretty smoothly. My neuropathy (nerve damage in the fingertips) is becoming more of an issue and we're considering dropping the dose a little. I've been told it's getting to the point where it may become permanent, and I could lose some fine motor skills. A life being unable to incessantly text and play angry birds is not worth considering. Also, I'd struggle with doing up the buttons on my shirt and so would have to go around dressed like Tom Selleck most of the time. 

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried taking glutamine for the neuropathy? It really worked for me--10mg 3x a day.

    And did you have all that energy from the steroids? Prednisone was part of my treatment and I had sooo much energy I was bouncing off the walls...but not the mountains. Glad to hear you have some strength though!

    Contessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pfft! Who are you trying to kid? You love being shirtless! And not just when you are picking cherry tomatoes in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glutamine eh? I've never heard of that but I'll ask my doctor about it next week. If it works as well as it did for you that would be awesome! And yes, I think the energy was from steroids. Well, that and a giant cooked breakfast.

    Kaths: You got me. It's just an excuse to show off my abs really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What am I doing wrong? I'm not grabbing the attention of Officer's Injured in the Line of duty, other Civilian's with this injury... No productive comments.
    www.injuredinthelineofduty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete