Thursday 10 March 2011

Are you feeling lucky, punk?

Alright. Decision has been made. I met with the radiologist to discuss getting radiotherapy to mop up any extra cancer cells that might still be floating around. We laughed, we joked, but mostly we talked about dying. Getting radiation reduces the chance that the cancer comes back. With the chemo I've already had, plus one month of radiation treatment, I stand a 94% of being Hodgkin's free, forever. Nice. The drawback is that I have a fair size mediastinal mass close to my coronary arteries - in layman's terms that means the monkey face bastards have set up shop right next to the ol' blood pumper. Even though modern radiation treatments are pretty targeted, I would still receive a significant dose to my area near my heart, as well as to the blood vessels in my neck. This means a greatly increased risk of heart disease and stroke later in life, as well as a considerable risk of secondary cancer in the lungs from the radiation. It also means probably losing my thyroid gland. I'm not really sure what this does but it must be important. Ronaldo has a messed thyroid and it made him fat, so much so that the fans started shouting 'el Gordo' at him. Poor Ronaldo.

Avoiding the radiation means going for another 4 treatments of chemo, and the risk of a relapse goes up, to 14%.  It's a tough call really, should I accept a small increase in risk now for a more healthy outlook 20 years down the road? How are you supposed to make these sorts of choices at 35 years old? I'd much rather be thinking about physics, or sandwiches. I asked the radiologist for advice and he quoted Dirty Harry to me. "Are you feeling lucky, punk?" I suppose I am, since I decided to skip the rads and go with the chemo. 86% seems like a pretty good gamble, but I guess only time will tell if I got this one right.

5 comments:

  1. Well shoot. I've been following your blog from the lymphoma forums, and I've been waiting to hear your decision. I just ordered Hopp's book as you said earlier you were reading it; I have a technical background as well. Who doesn't like to read a medical textbook once in a while?

    I was put in stage 2a non-bulky as well ... I'm going into treatment 6 or 12 with a clean PET after number 4. Now tell me how you came up with the 94% and the 86% because I'm a numbers gal and I need to know if those are my percentiles too.

    Anyway, thank you for blogging; it's helped me.

    3joyohjoy.blogspot.com
    kari.e.robbins@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, tough decision to make. But we think you're making the right one. Stay well buddy! k&k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kari - Good questions! I base my numbers on the following papers.

    94-95% PFS (progression free survival) for early stage patients with pet negative scans after 2 cycles who receive ABVD + IFRT:

    Hutchings et. al. BLOOD 107, 52-59 (2006).
    Gallamini et. al. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY 25, 3746-3752 (2007).
    Sher et. al. ANNALS OF ONCOLOGY 20,1848-1853 (2009).

    A reduction of approximately 7-8% from this number if you choose not to do RT:

    Straus et. al. BLOOD 104, 3483-3489 (2004).
    Meyer et. al. J Clin Oncol, 23:4634–4642 (2005).
    Results of the German H10 trial. This trial has closed the ABVD alone arm due to a high relapse rate. The final numbers are not out, but my oncologist says it is likely to be higher the 5% and unlikely to be higher than 10%. 7-8% is a good guess I think.

    There is significant controversy in the literature on this topic. I found these discussions quite useful:

    PRO:

    http://ascopost.com/articles/october-2010/pro-do-patients-with-limited-stage-hodgkin-lymphoma-require-radiotherapy

    CON:

    http://ascopost.com/articles/october-2010/con-do-patients-with-limited-stage-hodgkin-lymphoma-require-radiotherapy

    Hope this helps!


    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, after reading your secondary risks, i am happy to hear that you decided to go with chemo! with this selection, all you have to do is stay fit, eat healthy, and take better care of yourself than what you used to do pre-cancer. I know I sure hope this prevents me from getting a secondary cancer to the thyroid, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a rough decision. I am glad my doctors here in the States did not think me wise enough to make the decision on my own -- they basically just said I'm doing rads, and to deal with it.

    I was somehow lucky and only had to do 4 chemos, so I have just finished. I wish you the absolute best in your next 4. "This too shall pass!" Or, at least, that is what I keep telling myself. You might need stronger language after 9 rounds.

    -Stephen aka plaidpixel

    ReplyDelete