Tuesday 28 December 2010

Happy Cancer Christmas!

Hey everyone, it's my first cancer Christmas! If cancer can be beaten by overindulging in roast goose and Ferrero Rochers then I'll consider myself cured. No one told me cancer and I were exchanging gifts this year, and I got nothing for cancer but received peripheral neuropathy in return. It's nerve damage from chemo which manifests itself as a loss of sensation in your fingertips. I'm treating this as a kind of crappy superpower. If the door handle on your car is too cold to open, my invincible fingers can help. If you drop your car keys in your fireplace or something I'll come over and fish them out for you.  Misplaced your pincushion? Please, use my fingertips. They feel no pain.

This usually goes away after chemo but sometimes is permanent. I'll file this in the 'worry about it later' folder alongside global warming, my 2004 tax return and whether a local supernovae could create a wave of ionizing radiation that would sterilize the Earth of all life. Next up is cancer New Year's Eve which is probably going to be a lot like regular New Year's Eve but with added tumor.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm from the hodgkin's forum, and your blog is very funny! I hope treatment is going all right for you. It sucks and feels like it never ends, and then stupid me freaks out when it did! Like some twisted form of the Stockholm syndrome.
    I hope you're doing all right, and it seems like your treatment is working! I hope you have a great new year! Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Cancer New Year! Here's hoping for a regular New Year next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cara and Jennica, New Year's was great, hope yours was too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi mike, i experienced this as well! uneasy feeling, i must say! but i only really noticed it more after treatment was over. but now it's been better. although when my toes gets really cold, i lose feeling in those still. you mean that's not normal???

    ReplyDelete