Sunday 12 December 2010

Celebrity Team Hodge

 I'm no great fan of celebrities but I'll admit they have their uses. What would Cambridge city council do without X-factor runner-ups and Eastenders bit part actors when the Christmas lights need turning on? Fund raising is another useful celebrity activity, and it helps when they have a personal connection to the cause. Even a cynical, aging hipster can't help but feel a little moved seeing Kylie fronting this years Fashion Targets Breast Cancer campaign. Same with Michael J. Fox and his Parkinson's research foundation or Christopher Reeve and his spinal cord injury and paralysis organization.

I spent some time with Google trying to figure out who we've got on board for Hodgkin's and the results were pretty crap. I'll share them with you. We've got famed Romanian concert pianist Dinu Lipatti. Dennis "D-rock" Miles, masked rhythm guitarist with Ice-T's seminal rap/rock band Body Count, and Canada's second favourite hockey player, Mario Lemeiux. Also 1980's WWF wrestling star Big John Stud, and Michael C. Hall, the American actor.

I wouldn't want to go to a celebrity fund raising dinner with that cast of D-listers and I have the damn disease. Besides, Big John,"D-rock" and Dinu are dead so it would just be Lemieux and the guy from Six Feet Under. Boring. Now I would never, ever wish cancer on anybody, but if fate dictates that a celebrity is going to get ill can we have a good one for Hodgkin's? I want to have this conversation:

Guy in pub: I heard you're sick with the Hodgkin's, that's really rough.
Me: Yea, but guys like me, Adrien Brody, Ben Affleck and Snoop Dog are tough. We stick together. Cancer can't tame this wolf pack. We'll make it through.
Guy in pub: Mad respect bruv.

Knowing my luck though celebrity team Hodge will probably end up with Brian Cox, who will upstage me yet again with his boyish charms, catchy pop anthems and supercolliding physics.

6 comments:

  1. I would love Ben Affleck even with the Hodge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing that makes everything a little bit brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I could come up with is Ken Hodge, a washed up z-list hockey player. he didn't even have hodgekins. glad i could help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael C. Hall is awesome actually, have you ever watched Dexter? Also he has a large head like you...maybe he is your hodge brother from another mother after all. Give him a chance...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay fine, Michael C. Hall is in. But until he has a cologne or perfume or trainer named after him I can't consider him A-list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super Mario is awesome, definitely an A-lister north of the 49th!

    ReplyDelete